Welcome to “Parish News” – these pages seek ….
– to keep you up-to-date with events and developments within the parish
– to allow you to keep other parishioners up-to-date with events and developments that you wish to advise them of.
To see the latest Newsletter click here
To advise us of items you would like posted on the website, please contact us here
Dates for your diary
N.B. Weekly Nursing Home Services –
– each Sunday at 11.20am (following 10am Mass)
– monthly service at Worcester Lodge at 3.30pm (usually the first Tuesday of the month
– monthly services at Mount Elton and Clevedon Court. If you would like to join any of these (no obligation or rota!) contact Carmel Wear at Yatton or Deacon Mario at firstname.lastname@example.org
– 28th Sept – Calling Gardeners to help with the Friary Garden – after 10am Mass – please bring gloves and tools.
– 28th Sept – Baptism of Theodore Saysell – please pray for Theodore and his family
– 29th September – The Wall of Answered Prayers – Clevedon Baptist Church (2.30pm – 4pm) –A huge public monument to answered prayer is in the process of being built in the middle of the country and will stand as a permanent reminder of our God who answers prayer. Richard Gamble who is the driving force behind THE WALL OF ANSWERED PRAYER will be speaking at the Baptist church. More information click here.
-3rd OCT – Transitus of St Francis– 7.30pm – in our Clevedon Church the SFO will offer prayers and readings
– 4th Oct – Feast of St Francis – 10am Mass in Clevedon
– 6th Oct – Blessing of Pets Clevedon at 4pm
– 17th Oct – Gathering of Young People (year 6 and above) – (Year 6 and above) a chance for young people to talk and pray about what they would like to see happening in our parish.
– 6th October – Bible Study for Real Life -9am – 9.45am (i.e. before 10am Mass) – in Retro Choir – readings will link into our daily experiences. See Deacon Mario for more information
– 20th October – Bible Study for Real Life -9am – 9.45am (i.e. before 10am Mass) – in Retro Choir – readings will link into our daily experiences. See Deacon Mario for more information
– 24th Oct – BELOVED DISCIPLES – in Greyfriars Hall – 2.15pm for a 2.30pm start – Pt 1 of a video by David Wells and David Payne of CaFE followed by discussion to close by 4pm. Pts 2-4 will be on 31st Oct and 7th & 14th November. This was specially made for the over 60s, but all are welcome. refreshments provided.
– 26-27 Oct – Celebrate, Bristol – a non-residential weekend with streams of all ages.Workshops include: quality input, prayerful music, prayer ministry, Mass etc – venue: St Bede’s College, BS1 0SU More info at www.celebrateconference.org/bristol 2nd November – Special All Souls Celebration – Parishioners invite members of the public to commemorate their deceased loved ones at a special Mass and celebration
– 31st Oct – BELOVED DISCIPLES – in Greyfriars Hall – 2.15pm for a 2.30pm start – Pt 2 of a video by David Wells and David Payne of CaFE followed by discussion to close by 4pm. Pts 3-4 will be on 7th & 14th November. – This was specially made for the over 60s, but all are welcome. refreshments provided.
– 2nd Nov – Ecumenical Memorial service – at Immaculate Conception, Clevedon – watch this space
– 7th Nov – BELOVED DISCIPLES – in Greyfriars Hall – 2.15pm for a 2.30pm start – Pt 3 of a video by David Wells and David Payne of CaFE followed by discussion to close by 4pm. Pt 4 will be on 4th November. This was specially made for the over 60s, but all are welcome. refreshments provided.
– 14th Nov – BELOVED DISCIPLES – in Greyfriars Hall – 2.15pm for a 2.30pm start – Pt 4 of a video by David Wells and David Payne of CaFE followed by discussion to close by 4pm. This was specially made for the over 60s, but all are welcome. refreshments provided.
– 16th Nov – FRIARY FATRE at PRINCES HALL, CLEVEDON
8th September – Parish Fun Day – The sun shone the food arrived in both quantity and quality and the parishioners turned in festive like mood. A healthy buzz of conversation filled Greyfriars as less healthy platefuls were consumed. Thanks are due to Friars for the use of their garden and their dining room and terrace.
Anne Marie and here team worked their usual wonders on the display of the food and Paul Spindler demonstrated his head-masterly control during the games in the garden. Genevieve Vickery provided a craft filled table while Lucy Kehoe set up archery, swing-ball et in the garden. Others raided the apple trees.
Thanks to all provided, displayed and eat the food. Thanks to the cleaners of utensils and room the Fun Day lived up to its name
Spot the Head-teacher
One way of keeping them quiet
The garden in sunshine
21st September Church Open Day – On Saturday 21st September from 10:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. the parish will hold a special open-day for the general public to visit the church. It will be an opportunity to learn about the building of the church and to view the beautiful stained glass windows that decorate it. Guides will be on hand to explain the history and the rich symbolism embodied in the architecture and illustrated in the windows. There will be light refreshments provided and space for those simply seeking a quiet place away from the bustle of Saturday shopping.
The open-day is free of charge.
10th August – Visit to Noah’s Ark Farm and the African Carnival Day
Many thanks to Simon Farnden for suggesting and organising the visit. Some 50 parishioners, very young to ‘somewhat older!!’ enjoyed a great day out – despite the wind, rain and very occasional sunshine. The wide range of animals,. from the cute meerkats to the lumbering elephants is truly impressive, yet the energy displayed by african drummers, dancers and gymnasts was outstanding.
tParish Picnic 20th July 2019
With torrential rain in the days leading up to Saturday the picnic was in doubt until clearer weather arrived and was backed up by a benign forecast. Saturday morning drizzle didn’t help but the clouds cleared and the sun shone. Despite the lead up e-mails and telephone calls ensured a good turn-out.
Picnic food was backed up by scones, strawberries and cream, teas and coffees guaranteed an healthy flow of conversation between parishioners of all ages. Genevieve Vickery and Lucy Kehoe provided both the inspiration and resources for the crafts while swing-ball, pluck-a-duck and archery ensured plenty of activity served to run off the weight added by the scones etc. In a garden with tree house, swings, slides and hammocks the young parishioners held no monopoly of the fun-time.
Thanks to Paul Spindler and the Children, Young People and Families working group for arranging the event and to Peter & Mary for their hospitality
Street Evangelisation 13th July
Some twenty-five parishioners joined to make the Hill Rd Evangelisation event a grand success. Hill Rd shoppers lit candles for their own personal intentions and placed them on our stand. Between 10am and 1pm nearly 100 candles were lit and over 30 written prayer requests were received. Our initial embarrassment at publicly professing our faith soon evaporated as we realised our actions were welcomed and valued by most people.
After the event the candles were brought back to our church along with the written prayer requests which were offerred to the Lord during the weekend Masses
OUR PARISH NEEDS YOUR HELP!……
a) Sacristans – the team welcome new members to assist in preparing for our public worship, notably Mass. Speak with Michael hale or one of the Friars to see how you might offer help.
Eucharistic Ministers are required to serve and help during the Masses and/or to serve the Eucharist to those unable to attend Mass
b) Printing the Newsletter – help needed for 20mins on Friday afternoon or Saturday morning to print, count and fold newsletter and place within the church. Please contact Tom at the parish office tel 01275 873205 or email@example.com
c) CTIC – a Parish Representative is needed at the meetings of Churches Together in Clevedon (CTIC) to express the parish’s viewpoint at this organisation that brings Clevedon’s Christian Community together. If you can spare an hour or so every six weeks please contact the parish office (01275 873205) or Fr Reg
d) Prayer Writer needed to compose the Universal prayers for four sundays every six months – please email the parish office or speak to one of the friars.
PRAYERS AS YOU GO
– is a free App/Website- download Mass readings and reflections to your phone and pray as you go to work etc. See here
200 Club Winners in the JUNE draw…
1st Prize (£50) = Mrs C Somerton
2nd Prize(£20) = Mr R Murray
3rd Prize (£10) = Mrs M Davis
NB there are a couple of numbers still available – if you wish to join this fundraising scheme see Pat Carey in Clevedon or Susan Barnes in Yatton