Welcome to “Parish News” – these pages seek ….
– to keep you up-to-date with events and developments within the parish
– to allow you to keep other parishioners up-to-date with events and developments that you wish to advise them of.
To see the latest Newsletter click here
To advise us of items you would like posted on the website, please contact us here
N.B. Please drop your Yellow FMU Collection Box – into the Parish Office before the end of the year
N.B. Weekly Nursing Home Services –
– each Sunday at Gorselands at 11.20am (following 10am Mass)
– monthly service at Worcester Lodge at 3.30pm (usually the first Tuesday of the month
– monthly services at Mount Elton and Clevedon Court. If you would like to join any of these (no obligation or rota!) contact Carmel Wear at Yatton or Deacon Mario at email@example.com
– 8th Dec – Joint Reconciliation Service – 4pm at St Francis Church, Nailsea – a perfect chance to get closer to the Lord prior to Christmas
– 9th Dec – Feast of the Immaculate Conception – Mass at 10am on our patronal feast day in Clevedon.
N.B. The friars wish all parishioners a happy feast day
– 13th Dec – Gathering of Young People of the Deanery (Yr 6 and above) 6pm – 7.30pm in Greyfriars- a chance for relaxation, play and pray, and to voice your opinion on the direction of the group
– 15th Dec – Blessing of the Christ Child – please bring the Christ Child from your family crib for a blessing. this re-creates the “Bambellini” ceremony that the Pope leads in St Peter’s Basilica in Rome
– 15th Dec – Rehearsal for the Christmas Carol Service and Nativity Play – 2.30 in Immaculate Conception, Clevedon. if you would like to take part in telling the story contact Paul at firstname.lastname@example.org. We are seeking angels, shepherds, Mary, Joseph, kings and a baby Jesus!
– 17th Dec –Yr3-Yr6 Carol Service Rehearsal – 10am in St Francis Church – do come along as spaces for the evening service are scarce
– 17th Dec – Yr3-Yr6 Carol Service – 7pm at St Francis Church, Nailsea
– 18th Dec – Yatton Chapel Carol Service 7.30pm at Chapel of Sts Dunstan & Anthony, Yatton – an informal carol service usually followed by coffee and mince pies
– 19th Dec – Greyfriars Friendship Club – Christmas Lunch – contact Paul on 01275 874973 or Neil on 01275 343763
– 20th Dec – Pre-Christmas Mass at St Francis School at 10am. If you are coming please let the school know for numbers. How? by email at email@example.com
– 22nd Dec – Bible Study for Real Life -9am – 9.45am (i.e. before 10am Mass) – in Retro Choir – readings will link into our daily experiences. See Deacon Mario for more information
– 22nd Dec – Parish Carol Service – 4pm in Clevedon – followed by coffee and mince pies
– 25th Dec – CHRISTMAS DAY – Mass at 10am
– 5th Jan’20 – Epiphany Mass at 11am
– 5th Jan’20 – Epiphany International Lunch + fun and games– following Mass – please bring your favourite national dish
– 26th Feb – Ash Wednesday
FRIARY FAYRE – on 16th November in Princes Hall, Clevedon – raises a record sum!!!!
Massive thank you to all helped with the Christmas fayre which so far has raised £4,120.21 ( a record figure). This amazing figure is down to the leadership of Paul Stathers, the efforts of his stall holders and in no small part to those who attended and spent their monies. Many thanks to all.
EMAIL CORRESPONDENCE – To aid confidentiality and transparency the PPC ask you to consider the following …
i) if you wish to communicate with individual friars you are asked to use one of the following email addresses…
a) For the Parish Priest, Fr Reg Gray —- firstname.lastname@example.org
b) For the Guardian, Fr Antoine(Tony) — email@example.com
c) For Fr Antony Collins ——————– firstname.lastname@example.org
ii) For non-confidential issues and general parish information and questions please continue to use either of the following …
— email@example.com or — firstname.lastname@example.org
iii) If you are unsure which to use please ask a friar, a deacon or a member of the PPC eg email@example.com
Fr Antony Collins asks for you prayers as he will be seeing the oncologist on Tuesday 26th Nov
St Francis School Newsletter – click here
St Vincent de Paul Society – SVP members help the disadvantaged, but we need new members. Why not join the SVP family answering God’s call to help your neighbour? We are currently helping students in Kerala , providing them with 20 tables and chairss for their studies. Call CARMEL on 01934 832978
Beloved Disciple –many thanks to Pat & Neil Quinn for presenting this 4-week opportunity to see the value of those in”the autumn of life. Some 35 parishioners attended.
Christmas Stock – there is now a stock of Advent Calendars, Nativity scenes, tree decorations etc
21st September – Immaculate Conception Open day
With Gregorian Chant playing quietly in the background, a steady stream of visitors were welcomed to the Immaculate Conception Church in Clevedon. Event organiser Anthony Palmer said “As one of our special evangelisation events we opened our church to the Clevedon community. There was no attempt to convert visitors, we simply responded to their questions and hopefully displayed our love of our faith, and for our church and our community.” A team of twelve guides shared the day and a second team provided refreshments.
8th September – Parish Fun Day – The sun shone the food arrived in both quantity and quality and the parishioners turned out in festive like mood. A healthy buzz of conversation filled Greyfriars as less healthy platefuls were consumed. Thanks are due to Friars for the use of their garden and their dining room and terrace.
Anne Marie and her team worked their usual wonders on the display of the food and Paul Spindler demonstrated his head-masterly control during the games in the garden. Genevieve Vickery provided a craft filled table while Lucy Kehoe set up archery, swing-ball et al in the garden. Others raided the apple trees.
Thanks to all who provided, displayed and ate the food. Thanks to the cleaners of utensils and room. Indeed the Fun Day lived up to its name!
Spot the Head-teacher
One way of keeping them quiet
The garden in sunshine
10th August – Visit to Noah’s Ark Farm and the African Carnival Day
Many thanks to Simon Farnden for suggesting and organising the visit. Some 50 parishioners, very young to ‘somewhat older!!’ enjoyed a great day out – despite the wind, rain and very occasional sunshine. The wide range of animals,. from the cute meerkats to the lumbering elephants is truly impressive, yet the energy displayed by african drummers, dancers and gymnasts was outstanding.
Parish Picnic 20th July 2019
With torrential rain in the days leading up to Saturday the picnic was in doubt until clearer weather arrived and was backed up by a benign forecast. Saturday morning drizzle didn’t help but the clouds cleared and the sun shone. Despite the lead up e-mails and telephone calls ensured a good turn-out.
Picnic food was backed up by scones, strawberries and cream, teas and coffees guaranteed an healthy flow of conversation between parishioners of all ages. Genevieve Vickery and Lucy Kehoe provided both the inspiration and resources for the crafts while swing-ball, pluck-a-duck and archery ensured plenty of activity served to run off the weight added by the scones etc. In a garden with tree house, swings, slides and hammocks the young parishioners held no monopoly of the fun-time.
Thanks to Paul Spindler and the Children, Young People and Families working group for arranging the event and to Peter & Mary for their hospitality
Street Evangelisation 13th July
Some twenty-five parishioners joined to make the Hill Rd Evangelisation event a grand success. Hill Rd shoppers lit candles for their own personal intentions and placed them on our stand. Between 10am and 1pm nearly 100 candles were lit and over 30 written prayer requests were received. Our initial embarrassment at publicly professing our faith soon evaporated as we realised our actions were welcomed and valued by most people.
After the event the candles were brought back to our church along with the written prayer requests which were offerred to the Lord during the weekend Masses
OUR PARISH NEEDS YOUR HELP!……
a) Sacristans – the team welcome new members to assist in preparing for our public worship, notably Mass. Speak with Michael hale or one of the Friars to see how you might offer help.
Eucharistic Ministers are required to serve and help during the Masses and/or to serve the Eucharist to those unable to attend Mass
b) Printing the Newsletter – help needed for 20mins on Friday afternoon or Saturday morning to print, count and fold newsletter and place within the church. Please contact Tom at the parish office tel 01275 873205 or firstname.lastname@example.org
c) CTIC – a Parish Representative is needed at the meetings of Churches Together in Clevedon (CTIC) to express the parish’s viewpoint at this organisation that brings Clevedon’s Christian Community together. If you can spare an hour or so every six weeks please contact the parish office (01275 873205) or Fr Reg
d) Prayer Writer needed to compose the Universal prayers for four sundays every six months – please email the parish office or speak to one of the friars.
PRAYERS AS YOU GO
– is a free App/Website- download Mass readings and reflections to your phone and pray as you go to work etc. See here